Arthur Vining Davis Library & Archives
Susan Stover, Director
The Arthur Vining Davis Library & Archives has been providing resources, reference and research for over 34 years at Mote Marine Laboratory. Its collection is maintained for the support of marine research and education. The library is open to the public for research by appointment. For further information contact, firstname.lastname@example.org or see About the Library & Archives.
Since 1955, Mote staff has produced more than 1,650 technical reports and 1,000 peer-reviewed papers. These Mote Technical Reports and Collected Papers from Mote Marine Laboratory, Volumes 1 through 16, are available for public review in the Arthur Vining Davis Library. Many of the technical reports have been digitized and can be accessed through Mote's institutional repository, DSpace. Other Mote publications and historical materials are also available in the repository: Mote's Repository.
- Library Catalog : Destiny "NEW" Search the library holdings for books, reports, e-pubs, journal titles, reprints
- DSpace : full-text, open access e-repository of technical reports, articles, and historical publications
- Archon : archives and special collections finding aids (Under Construction)
- EBSCO : environment complete & biomedical, some full-text
- Springer : biomedical and environmental sciences full-text
- BioOne : bioscience & environment collection, full-text
- JSTOR : life science collection, full-text
- Elsevier : ScienceDirect, full-text ejournals and ebooks
- FL Electronic Library : articles, proceedings, Academic OneFile etc.
- Bibliographic Databases : Scirus, Agricola, Ingenta, Sea Grant etc.
2012-13 Arthur Vining Davis Foundations Grant spurs new projects, technologies, and internships: Thanks to a generous grant from the AVD Foundations, the Mote Library and Archives is initiating a number of new projects and making even more of its unique special collections dating back to the 1920s available for research. Library internships for 2013 are available as part of this grant. Learn more here.
80 Years of Environmental Data Online: In 2009-2010, the library staff conducted a digitization project of pertinent Mote Technical Reports and 1930s-40s grey literature from the Bass Biological Laboratory (BBL) of Englewood, Florida. The process involved the rescue and preservation of unpublished documents and data from BBL, conversion to electronic format, and e-publication of the materials in Mote's repository, DSpace . Digitization of the materials was funded under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA), from the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS), administered by the Florida Department of State, Division of Library and Information Services.